On lun 12 novembre 2007, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> I haven't thought much about the whole matter, but here are
> some of my thoughts anyway.  :-)
>
> (1) A complete reorganization shouldn't be done before the
>     0.9.11 release, but I don't assume that anyone aimed for
>     that.
>
> (2) I'd say that we want to keep the power of XML defined
>     bindings (with embedded Nasal where appropriate.) But
>     one could think about not having those automatically
>     triggered, but read them into a map, and let the
>     keys trigger such bindings by name. That way one could
>     assign bindings in a dialog. (Personally, I don't like
>     this type of configuration at all. It's not nearly
>     as flexible as editing the XML file, and one doesn't
>     configure the keyboard often, especially if the
>     defaults are sane. This is just a lot of bloat and
>     complexity for a feature that isn't needed at runtime
>     at all.)
>
> (3) I find parts of John's idea nice, but the examples in
>     the referenced file are much too complex for my taste.
>     Also, I wouldn't like a "language" parser for it done
>     in c++. We did a lot of work to get rid of all hardcoded
>     stuff, and this would be a step backwards. Nasal is
>     fast and powerful enough for this.
>
>     I could imagine to allow setting frequencies and some
>     other data in this manner. I've today added an interface
>     for key events, so that we can play with the idea. Here
>     is a simple demo:
>
>        http://members.aon.at/mfranz/devel.nas  [558 B]
>
>     It monitors all key events, passes everything until
>     it sees a tilde ~, at which point it grabs all further
>     keys, assembles them and displays them in a popup, and on
>     <return> prints the string to the console and resumes
>     normal mode.
>
> m.

Some time ago (i must say some years), we where talking about the difficulties
to get an easy use of the keyboard but the ENGLISH one which is the ONLY
one  :)
As far i remember, you, Melchior  were asking the question, and you got NO
ANSWER.
For instance with the french keyboard  acting the right break (<key n="46">)
means to me to operate two keys  (dot is an upper case) other keys are only
operating with the Alt-Gr  }   ]   [   {   #   ~
I guess this not only a french keyboard problem, any other keyboard do have
probably the same difficulties.

What about an FG  Keyboard mapping conversion from the English one to an
other "NOT English" one.

Regards

--
GĂ©rard