> I'm not familiar with the suspension geometry of planes, but i *guess*
> it can be modelled as a series of "bodies", "joints", "springs" and
> "dampers", together with the tire model.
>
> Planes tires are pretty big, so they're an important part of the
> suspension process in landings too (and braking.. planes have brakes
> on their wheels too, not just reversing engines rotation + flaps,
> right?), not so much in take offs.

Some of the engineering sims I use at work (space shuttle) have very
detailed models of landing gear and tire spinup, etc. Of course, we don't
ever see power trains driving the wheels (at least we don't in JSBSim).
There are some simplifications made in our gear model that suffice for
modeling what planes do. However, out of curiosity, I am interested to see
how ground reactions are modeled for autos - particularly for the case when
the vehicle is at rest.

I am familiar with Pacejka's magic formula, etc. It can be a complicated
problem, so it's useful and interesting to see how others approach the
problem.

Jon