On 12/02/2007 08:13 AM, Roy Vegard Ovesen wrote:
> When prssing the 5 key on the numeric keypad to reset the controls to zero,
> the control surfaces instantly move to their origin. Similar effects can also
> happen when an autopilot controller is activated, and when a noisy joystick
> is interfering with an autopilot controller.

OK, that sounds like a problem.

> I think moving a control surface, like for example the rudder, from full left
> deflection to rull right deflection in an instant is unrealistic. To make
> this more realistic I think we should put in a low pass filter somewhere in
> the chain from crontrol device to FDM. My first thought would be to do the
> filtering just befir handing the value over to the FDM.

That's not a good solution.  That's highly unrealistic.

In real life, in a small airplane, if I decide to stomp on the
rudder pedal, the rudder is going to move real fast.  The
realistic time scale is not long compared to 1/30th of a
second i.e. the inverse frame rate.  That is to say, any
filter with a realistic timescale wouldn't solve the
problem.

The problem (as usual) lies with the nut behind the steering
wheel.  If you don't want the rudder to move real fast, don't
command the rudder to move real fast.
 -- Specifically, if the problem is a noisy joystick, fix the
  joystick somehow;  don't mess up the FDM.
 -- If "5" is doing the wrong thing, make "5" do the right
  thing.