Hi!

LeeE wrote:
> I think I mentioned earlier, but first problem - there's no SRTM
> data for the poles.  Second problem is that calculations that
> assume a quad (trapezoidal) area fail at the poles because they
> have to deal with a tri area and not a quad area.

The problem is not that tiles are interpreted as rectangular in the
latitude-longitude system if interpreted cartesic, but instead that the
tile grid is inconsistent even without the problems of representing
spherical coordinates in a planar system.

While what you describe are problems (e.g. I had to remove an airport
located at one of the poles because it gave TerraGear a hard time
wrapping it around the world), they do not apply for the specific bug
mentioned here.

BTW: The .btg.gz-files use geocentric cartesian coordinates, so that the
earth is actually round and closed in the scenery.

Cheers,
Ralf