LeeE wrote:
> Yup - I downloaded lots of SRTM data to play with in GRASS and
> above/below +/- 60 lat it isn't there.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any alternative source of suitable data
> either so I don't see how FG can cover the poles.

FG can cover the poles - and has been doing so for years -, but only in
terms of landcover definition, not in terms of elevation. It's not
realistic, but the same could be said of using the SRTM data for
deserts, which change their shape all the time.

I'm sure there are sources for the pole, just with the problem that we
can't use them in a legal sense.

Cheers,
Ralf