Ralf Gerlich wrote:
> Currently we have tile borders that are representable as polygon - more
> strictly as rectangles - which makes clipping easy. The new tile borders
> could not be well-approximated using polygons. We could try creating
> clipping polygons that approximate the borders down to an error of
> SG_EPSILON, but I'm not sure if that is practicable.

We could also define the tiles to be non-rectangular, but - as Lee
mentioned - trapezoidal resp. as triangular. The width of the northern
edge would be cos(nlat) and the width of the southern edge would be
cos(slat), with nlat being the northern latitude of the tile and slat
being the southern latitude of the tile.

Cheers,
Ralf