and Pigeon wrote:
>A single MP packet is close to at least 500 byte currently. So at a
>typical 10Hz rate that gives 5kB/s per server per player. And of course
>the more players, the more packet the server will receive as well as
>forward onto other players. And then there's server relay part, which
>essentially another copy of the packet upstream. Guess we could put
>together a formula to calculate given the number of players and relays.

I agree with 'the nature of the beast', as LeeE stated. Server acting as
mery packet relay can't do more.
Server should act as packet filtering relay, for ex. if I'm flying over south
Italy, all San Francisco zone traffic info are of no interest for me. So
IMHO we need no universal servers but zone servers. Theoretically if
no player connected to Europe zone server is flying over North America and
no player connected to North America zone server is flying over Europe,
these two servers have no need to communicate each other.

Unfortunatelly, I think it isn't anythink new, everebody can reach this idea,
the hard part is write that server ;)

Regards,
Pietro