On Friday 11 April 2008 12:17, Ove Kaaven wrote:
> LeeE skrev:
> > I was thinking more along the lines of publicly displaying the
> > photo in an exhibition, which I don't think could be regarded
> > as distribution,
>
> I suspect the RIAA and MPAA would disagree...
>
> > as opposed to selling copies of it, which would be
> > classed as distribution.

Different scenario entirely.  The RIAA/MPAA only have a remit that
covers the duplication/re-distribution of specific recordings,
either audio or visual, of specific performances - for example,
they cannot prevent cover/tribute bands from performing copyrighted
material, although the writer, or copyright holder of the, lyrics
or melody, might be able to - not sure about this but if so it
would prevent people from humming or whistling a song they heard on
the radio.  However, if a cover/tribute band wanted to release and
distribute their own version of copyrighted material they would
definitely have to get permission from the copyright holder.

LeeE