On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 12:55 -0700, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Enthused by a comment on the forum by snork
> (http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1333), I've been
> working on an extension to the generic blackout/redout script which
> attempts to simulate the feeling of compression due to g-forces, by
> moving the pilot viewpoint vertically depending on the apparent
> g-force.
>
> This is a simplified version of what vivian, Josh et al. created for
> the Buccaneer and other aircraft.
>
> Of course, the main advantage of this is that it is completely
> generic, and pretty lightweight too. The overhead ontop of the
> redout/blackout is minimal: one extra property read/write per frame,
> only when the feature is enabled and in cockpit view.
>
> A patch for this is available from
> http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/headshake.patch
>
> Comments are very welcome, but I'm particularly interested in peoples
> views on the following:
>
> 1) Obviously this duplicates some aircraft-specific code, and one can
> argue that this sort of feature is only important for high-energy
> jets, where it should be modelled in more detail than I have done.
> I've been playing with this code on the Stampe, A4-F and Pitts, and
> have felt that it has improved the feeling of realism, but then I
> wrote it ;) Do people feel it is worth providing a generic
> implementation, given that for most GA flying is at 2g or less, and
> this will move the pilot viewpoint 5cm!

It is worthwhile to model generically.  Many aircraft in CVS could
benefit from this feature without having to recode it for each.

> 2) Currently the redout and headshake enabling properties are
> userarchive, which (as I understand it) means that the user's
> preference will over-write any aircraft setting. Given that both these
> generic features duplicate existing aircraft-specific code, I think I
> should remove this flag, so aircraft designers can over-ride it. Any
> comments?

STRONGLY OPPOSE.  User preference should absolutely outweigh the
aircraft designer.  While I might feel, as an aircraft designer, that a
function adds a degree of realism, I can't and don't test on different
hardware, monitor resolutions, multi-head setups, hardware simulator
setups, etc.  which head-shake may cause problems with.

I personally find it annoying to have the panels jumping around during
IFR flight.

> 3) At the moment, this feature is limited to the y-offset of the pilot
> viewpoint. For non-military aircraft,  the most significant g-forces
> will be felt in the y-axis (in the pilots frame of reference), as they
> cannot yaw fast enough to cause any in the x-axis, and they don't have
> enough power to cause any in the z-axis. If it is worth providing a
> generic feature, is it worth making it multi-dimensional?

It may be worth while to add.  Perhaps it could be used to give a sense
of slip/skid for the GA pilot.

Ron