Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Enthused by a comment on the forum by snork
> (http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1333), I've been working on
> an extension to the generic blackout/redout script which attempts to simulate
> the feeling of compression due to g-forces, by moving the pilot viewpoint
> vertically depending on the apparent g-force.
>
> This is a simplified version of what vivian, Josh et al. created for the
> Buccaneer and other aircraft.
>
> Of course, the main advantage of this is that it is completely generic, and
> pretty lightweight too. The overhead ontop of the redout/blackout is minimal:
> one extra property read/write per frame, only when the feature is enabled and
> in cockpit view.
>
> A patch for this is available from
> http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/headshake.patch
>
> Comments are very welcome, but I'm particularly interested in peoples views
> on the following:
>
> 1) Obviously this duplicates some aircraft-specific code, and one can argue
> that this sort of feature is only important for high-energy jets, where it
> should be modelled in more detail than I have done. I've been playing with
> this code on the Stampe, A4-F and Pitts, and have felt that it has improved
> the feeling of realism, but then I wrote it ;) Do people feel it is worth
> providing a generic implementation, given that for most GA flying is at 2g or
> less, and this will move the pilot viewpoint 5cm!
>
> 2) Currently the redout and headshake enabling properties are userarchive,
> which (as I understand it) means that the user's preference will over-write
> any aircraft setting. Given that both these generic features duplicate
> existing aircraft-specific code, I think I should remove this flag, so
> aircraft designers can over-ride it. Any comments?
>
> 3) At the moment, this feature is limited to the y-offset of the pilot
> viewpoint. For non-military aircraft,  the most significant g-forces will be
> felt in the y-axis (in the pilots frame of reference), as they cannot yaw
> fast enough to cause any in the x-axis, and they don't have enough power to
> cause any in the z-axis. If it is worth providing a generic feature, is it
> worth making it multi-dimensional?
>
> -Stuart

Hi Stuart , I had this option long long ago in all my aircraft , but
Martin Spot claimed that it was unrealistic , so I removed it ... the
old code is still in the 787 (which is a modification of the 777 Justin
and I worked on ) , and the A6M2 has the code in jwarbirds.nas ...
Personally , I like the effect :)
Cheers
Syd