--- On Thu, 8/5/08, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> ..maybe he could join us here?  ;o)

I don't think he has any interest in FG - he was approached by another forum
member who wanted to use his textures in a building.

> ..I believe he is wrong in his opinion of being unable to
> make a good living off his texture web site.  And I too am
> happy to help convince him.  And the best part is how he
> starts with a limited set of textures.  He will be able
> to tell us how this "impacts" his web site
> business.  ;o)

I hope he can make a living from his texture website, and I think GPLing some
textures is a good marketing tool. However, I can't see any commercial
justification for GPLing all the textures, given that they are already fairly
free for end-user use.

In this case the textures themselves represent a very large part of his IP and
business. In contrast, a lot of OSS businesses have professional services ontop
of the GPL'd IP as the actual business, so the core software is not as
important to them.

Anyway, I am not familiar with his business, and it would be presumptious (if
not rather rude) of me to comment further. I'm just very thankful he has
offered as much as he has.

On a more technical note - if we are offered a choice, it might be a good idea
to discuss the sort of textures that would be particularly useful to the
project. I've had a quick look through the site, and there aren't any that look
particularly applicable as ground textures, but there are some nice elevation
views of buildings which could be useful.

-Stuart