On Thu, 8 May 2008 14:36:03 +0000 (GMT), Stuart wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> --- On Thu, 8/5/08, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > ..maybe he could join us here?  ;o)
>
> I don't think he has any interest in FG - he was approached by
> another forum member who wanted to use his textures in a building.
>
> > ..I believe he is wrong in his opinion of being unable to
> > make a good living off his texture web site

..here is where I forgot "using the GPL."  :o)

> > And I too am
> > happy to help convince him.  And the best part is how he
> > starts with a limited set of textures.  He will be able
> > to tell us how this "impacts" his web site
> > business.  ;o)
>
> I hope he can make a living from his texture website, and I think
> GPLing some textures is a good marketing tool. However, I can't see
> any commercial justification for GPLing all the textures,

..maybe his new experience from now on will provide that
justification?  ;o)

> given that they are already fairly free for end-user use.
>
> In this case the textures themselves represent a very large part of
> his IP and business. In contrast, a lot of OSS businesses have
> professional services ontop of the GPL'd IP as the actual business,
> so the core software is not as important to them.

..aye, but textures too are works of art, and a conceivable source
code recipe nasal or bash script would tell the re-creator precisely
where to go and how to re-create his textures under the GPL, and
e.g. leave his binaries under GPL3 in the FG suite and under his
own license on his commercial site.  Many ways to skin this cat. ;o)

> Anyway, I am not familiar with his business, and it would be
> presumptious (if not rather rude) of me to comment further. I'm just
> very thankful he has offered as much as he has.

..aye.  :o)

> On a more technical note - if we are offered a choice, it might be a
> good idea to discuss the sort of textures that would be particularly
> useful to the project. I've had a quick look through the site, and
> there aren't any that look particularly applicable as ground
> textures, but there are some nice elevation views of buildings which
> could be useful.

..aye, e.g. runway rubber tracks around intersections.  :o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: