Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * Melchior FRANZ -- Monday 16 June 2008:
>
>> At least for now we should be reasonably safe from evil people
>> and have time to find better solutions.
>>

> BTW: Why the sudden paranoia? Not that we should have waited
> much longer for some security enhancements in any case, but the
> fact that there seem now to be web sites with random fgfs addons
> to download made me feel a bit uncomfortable. It was all too easy
> to cause quite some damage, and not everyone reviews the fgfs
> stuff he installs. Of course, it would be better to keep the
> official repositories as the central place for all sorts of
> scenery and aircraft addons, and not to rely on any outside
> source. And to review the stuff before committing.  :-)
>
> m.

A little paranoia now and then can only be healthy ;)

But as you said, you could use colons or commas for the list of files, like
--prop:io-read=/myDir,/tmp,/dev/null
or some other separator, like : or ;.Colon (":") is a bad idea as it
would mess with windows paths that involves a drive:, you could use
semi-colon (;) but that would require escaping on linux, if you don't do
it like --prop:io-read="/myDir;/tmp;/dev/null;c:\windows\system32\sam".

About the tree, you could use it like you saied, but that would be a
hell to write, but I guess that would be a good solution otherwise...
but parsing the line from above would also be doable, but I guess your
tree names are more "mainstream" :P

But can't you just restrict the io to a single directory and then let
the users install their extensions there? or just export the entire FG_ROOT?

But is this really needed? How does M$ flightsim extensions do? You have
to trust the source somewhat, We could sneak in bad code in fgfs too,
and ppl would run it anyway... Can the addoncreators be trustet as much
as "we" can?

Comments?