* Erik Hofman -- Wednesday 30 July 2008:
> To continue this discussion a bit (please add your comments) James an I
> had a short discussion about using std::string (for example) everywhere
> in the file or using " using std::string;" at the beginning.

I think this shouldn't be a policy question at all. Sometimes one
"using std::string" for the whole file makes the most sense,
sometimes it makes more sense to have that in only the few
functions that need it, and sometimes an explicit namespace
prefix per access seems preferable.

IOW: Leave it to the developer.

m.