On 28 Aug 2008, at 20:51, Curtis Olson wrote:

> Does this patch work with any aircraft and nav radio, or do the
> individual aircraft need to be updated to match.  I did a quick test
> in the default c172 flying from SJC to SFO, but the SFO 28R ILS
> seemed to have rock solid needle response even on the ground at SJC
> (26+ miles away) and the "TO" flag is showing.  This will be a nice
> addition, but I just want to make sure the default behavior scales
> fairly close to reality.

I suspect there's lots of debate over decay functions - Torsten's
computation is cheap and seems reasonable, but I'll let people with
more aeronautical experience comment in detail.

However, the use of random() in the existing code is much worse -
ultimately some semi-random model would be nice, but that would random
over much, much longer timer periods (hours or days) - the current
code causes the dreaded 'strobing' of reception (and in the dme code
as well), as the random() call is evaluated every update, i.e frame.
Hence random seems plain wrong to me (despite being motivated by a
worthwhile goal) so anything that replaces it with a stable decay
function gets my vote.

James