On 3 Sep 2008, at 14:24, Frederic Bouvier wrote:

> You mean that it is Martin who do the 'cvs update' and we only have
> to do
> 'git update' ( or whatever the command is ) ?

Not even Martin, it's an automatic sync, currently every 4 hours (I
think) for the src repository, of course this could be changed.

>> Pushing to CVS, I use 'git diff' to generate a diff and email it to a
>> willing victim :) If Curt (or someone else) was willing to accept it,
>> I'd happily use 'git-format-patches' to generate mail-friendly
>> patches
>> and fill up his Inbox - that's how the kernel developers work it.
>>
>> When my patches are applied to CVS, Martin's mirror updates and I
>> pull
>> - so I know when my changes are 'in', because git-diff returns
>> 'nothing'.
>
> What if I have write access to the CVS repository ? Do I have to
> maintain
> a seperate CVS workspace and apply my own patch in that workspace
> before
> CVS commiting ? In that case I don't really see a great benefit ?

I'll have to defer to others who know better than I - what I expect to
be possible would be for Martin's mirror to be bi-directional -
pushing to CVS as well as pulling. At that point the set of people
with write access to the git-proxy also get 'CVS access' implicitly as
well, which obviously needs agreement from Curt.

The correct model, I think, is that there's a CVS (or SVN) server,
with a repository, and a git repository. People sync with (and commit
to) whichever they have permissions for, and prefer to use, and git
has specific features internally to keep the two in sync. I have some
vague impression that this works even better with SVN than with CVS,
but I'll let Martin and Melchior speak in detail about it.

Unrelated - I used git to sync up my laptop with my local FG git repo
this morning (over ssh) - spectacularly quick, and my local branches
just appear, with history and so on.

Git rocks. :)

James