On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 21:28 +0200,

As a very concerned military simulationist (is there such a word?) I am
deeply worried about military radars, indeed the whole radar "thing".

Every radar has it's own unique qualities - PRR, PRF, discrimination,
anti-clutter, etc.  From a simulation point of view radar range and
target size are extremely important.  An AWG-9 is not like an APS-124
nor like a SPS-10 or SPS-40, much less a Headnet C.  So what I am
getting at is a radar system is not inherent to a platform - but only to
itself.  And it's ability to find a target is unique.  So, please do not
lump radars into a all-in-one category.  Actually - there are at least
three categories:

Fire control:  SPG-53/AWG-9, etc.  Usually they are very narrow beam,
high power and provide continuous tracking

Track While Scan (TWS):  Medium power.  Provide targeting and search.
Targeting is availble by their high rotation rate (usually one second or
less).  (SPS-55)

Search Radars:  Medium Power, slow rotation rate, very long range.  In aircraft
typically 60 degree coverage - ships usually 360 degree.  Range is usually
quite long but depends on PRR and PRF.

And a fourth might be the new generation of phased array - though granted they
are not yet on aircraft (that I know of).

Note PRR = Pulse Repetition Rate   PRF= Pulse Repetition Frequency

Quite frankly, I would like to see radars put into a table so they can be
easily modified in/when their data become available.  Janes usually offers
quite accurate and unclassified data for radar systems.

Best wishes for continuing development!
--
Geoff McLean
McLean Research Associates

"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great."