Hi James !

Thank you for fast and informative answer.
I guess, rewriting of wav file handling can be only difficult thing
in removing ALUT away from FG. In fact, there only 4 ALUT
functions FG uses. Initializing, Destroying and opening-closing
streams. The implementation of first two is a piece of cake, I've
implemented
them as well. The second two - are bit more difficult to code, but
there's a nice library, called libsndfile, allowing working with
several sound file formats transparently.

Right now I'm trying to remove ALUT (well, in fact i'm
impementing some kind of #ifdef NO_ALUT code, so ALUT
still can be used) from FG, and as far as I finished - I'll post
here a patch.

As I see around - the more and more of projects are moving
away from ALUT, and probally FG has to do it some time.
So, why not to start movement process now :-)