On 20 Oct 2008, at 13:06, Vladimir Karmishin wrote:

> Thank you for fast and informative answer.
> I guess, rewriting of wav file handling can be only difficult thing
> in removing ALUT away from FG. In fact, there only 4 ALUT
> functions FG uses. Initializing, Destroying and opening-closing
> streams. The implementation of first two is a piece of cake, I've
> implemented
> them as well. The second two - are bit more difficult to code, but
> there's a nice library, called libsndfile, allowing working with
> several sound file formats transparently.

Well, that's the thing - changing an ALUT dependency for something
else, such as libsndfile, seems silly to me. If we're going to go down
the alut removal path, let's instead find / write the smallest /
simplest wav reader we can. For non-compressed .wavs, that's
*extremely* simple, I've done it before. Basically a fixed size header
and then the samples array.

I've no idea which of the various compressions and encodings the .wavs
in CVS use, but in the real-world, 99% of WAVs use one of a few
standard schemes, so I'd be very wary of incorporating something as
'heavy' as libsndfile. If someone contributes an 'unusual' .wav,
converting it to one of the more standard encodings is trivial.

Just my personal opinion, of course.