One thing that Mark Harris' clouds considered was lighting I believe.
Portions of the cloud that were shaded were darker and portions of the cloud
most exposed to the sun light were lighter.  I don't know the exact
algorithm, but I believe he was doing some extra work with lighting.  Then
all of that was cooked into an imposter.  I think our current clouds if they
had slightly better textures and smoother alpha blending would look pretty
good.  But there's always more than can be done. :-)

Curt.

Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/