Hi,

>From Mac OS side, there seems no problem in using headers of any
version of Boost as long as FlightGear works fine. I'll just grab it
and build FG with boost headers. No difficulties. However, if we're
going to use boost libraries before the next official release, I need
to make sure the binary works on at least some Macs, including
ppc/intel and OS X 10.4/10.5. Probably it needs some weeks to collect
feedbacks.

So I want to hear Tim's (and others') opinion about:
(1) what are the pros in using Boost especially in FlightGear.
If that doesn't give us any improvement in quality (like
maintainability, testability, usability, response, performance or
whatever you name it) or functionality in a clear way, we can live
without it, at least until the next official release (or until the
next release branch is made).

(2) Are we going to use boost libraries in the near future?
Hope not until the next release.

Again, I am not against using Boost at all. I just want to know how it
effects or affects FlightGear from developers' and users' viewpoints.
If it is determined to use boost, I'll do my best to keep up with
these things.

Plus, I ain't retrospective. PLIB era also got me a lot of troubles.
Do you remember that 0.9.10 on Mac OS X released several months after
Windows/Linux had released? 0.9.10 often crashed if ATC is on. Now I
can make FlightGear/OSG with less problem, and it works with less
crashes. So I don't think FlightGear/CVS-HEAD + OSG is not that
stable. I admit that we are still catching up with PLIB in some
functions like shadows and FG + OSG requires longer build time, it
often crash and I got some crash reports, but so what? OSG + FG give
us much more functions like multiple views, particles, and lots more.

Best,

Tat