Sujet:  Re: [Flightgear-devel] 1.9.0 feedback
De:     Durk Talsma <d.tal...@xs4all.nl>
Date:           27.12.2008 09:42

Hi,

On Saturday 27 December 2008 10:11:46 Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> I think it's something we need to bear in mind for the next release. We'll
> need to put more effort to get external testing of RCs on Windows/ATI.

Yes, I agree, but the problem is how to do that. For this release, we've had
two release candidates, for both of which we've had full fledged windows
packages, and -as far as I can tell- we've received no comments regarding the
problems I'm reading reports about in the forums now. Unfortunately, it
usually happens this way. It would be great if we could manage to get some
more user feedback on the release candidates.

> Given that the only announcement for 1.9 is a single line on the website,
> this isn't surprising. As far as I am aware, we haven't really "announced"
> 1.9 either through the -user mailing list, or the Forum. Durk - do we have
> a change-log we can advertize yet?

It seems to me that the release procedure isn't finished yet. I haven't seen
an announcement on flightgear-announce, and the gallery is still pointing to
the 1.0.0 one. IIRC, Curt used to sent the announce mails, but I could be
wrong here. If so, I'll do that later.

In the mean time, here is the changelog.

Cheers,
Durk

FlightGear 1.9.0

FlightGear 1.9.0 represents a fundamental code rearrangement, incorporating
over two years of development. After finishing the 1.0.0 release in December
2007, the FlightGear development team has directed their full attention to
finishing the code overhaul that had already started in October 2006. The
current 1.9.0 version of FlightGear is built upon the critically acclaimed
OpenSceneGraph library, thereby widely expanding FlightGear's graphical
capabilities. To make use of FlightGear's rich feature set, OpenSceneGraph
2.7.3 is minimally required (OpenSceneGraph 2.7.8 is recommended to avoid
rendering bugs). The switch to OpenSceneGraph marks an important milestone
for FlightGear, as it allows us to make full use of the advanced rendering
options already available in OpenSceneGraph, such as stereographic view modes
on screen statistics, easy definition of cameras for multiscreen systems,
onscreen statistics, native OpenSceneGraph 3D model loaders and much more.
    While the most dramatic changes to FlightGear have been taking place under
the hood, the latest version does offer many new exciting features not found
in any previous version. Some highlighted new features include:

Major new developments and features:
 - Major overhaul of the graphics code. FlightGear 1.9.0 makes use of the
    OpenSceneGraph library
 - Easy setup of multidisplay systems using multiple OpenSceneGraph "Cameras"
   driven by one single instance of FlightGear.
 - Multithreaded 3D model loader leads to much smoother performance
 - New particle system based precipitation code
 - configurable XML particle animations for smoke, spray, fire, etc
 - New dynamically configurable 3D Clouds.
 - pick animations, which allow for better clickable instrument panels
 - multiplayer specific on-screen menu
 - AI code can generate wingmen
 - At selected airports, it is now possible to start at a predefined parking
   position, as an alternative to starting at the runway.
 - Support for Lighter than air vehicles
 - Shader based tree rendering. This new feature allows For much denser tree
   density without any frame rate loss.
 - Support for jpg and png textures
 - A new multikey command mode, where multiple key strokes can be combined to
   form a command.
 - Detailed buildings at various airports and major cities around the world
 - Scenery can be kept up-to-date by downloading it from an SVN repository
   using TerraSync
 - Over 200 Aircraft are now available for separate download.

Code Improvements:
 - Improved Flight Dynamics
 - Several Improvements to animations
 - Improved behavior of Taxiing AI Aircraft.
 - Miscellaneous GUI improvements
 - Major improvements to FlightGear's route/waypoint manager code.
 - Improved runway management
 - Improved encapsulation of Navaids
 - Improved nasal scripting security
 - Improved behavior of VOR radios when close to their maximum range.
 - Configurable Heads up displays
 - Improved support of GPS instruments
 - Easier definition of AI traffic patterns
 - Improved accuracy of coastlines