Curtis Olson wrote:

> I wonder what tricks and approaches the gaming community uses for
> drawing clear and realistic roads?  The problem with cutting the lines
> into the surface as polygons is that (1) you explode the polygon count
> and (2) you have hard aliased edges which can become distracting in the
> distance.  Cooking the lines into the surface texture gets rid of the
> aliasing problem, but then you explode your texture memory requirements
> and need to do a lot of work to generate those textures on the fly

You also lose the polygon material mapping if you're just going to have
a surface (presumably generated from just SRTM data) with the generated
texture draped over it. IMHO this is a huge benefit of what we have
already, since that's what allows us to have things like amphibious
aircraft, operate aircraft from roads (I'm thinking of the harrier,
jaguar, air ambulance operations etc etc) and generally ensure a nice
bumpy landing when you have to choose a field for your glider because
you ran out of altitude before you made it back home. AFAIK this is
something pretty unique to FlightGear - we should think very carefully
before dropping it.

Jon