On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM, syd adams <adams....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys , Ive started some scenery developement ,have learned a fair
> bit in the last few days , but have more questions than answers at the
> moment.
> Ive been using the original hgt files for the Vancouver area , Im more
> interested in fixing the materials , roads, streams , coastline , etc.
> I did discover that fgfs-construct's lon , lat is the center of the
> work area . not bottom left like i assumed , and you need to delete
> the   AirportArea and AirportObj folders before regenerating the
> airport again or you end up with holes ...
>
> Can the order of material clipping be controlled , or is that
> hardcoded somewhere ?

I believe the clipping order is hard coded in the polygon.[ch]xx (or is it
names.[ch]xx) file off the top of my head.

> I use the Mapserver shapefiles , and modify them with Qgis , but two
> different types of vector layers dont seem to snap together , so I get
> a fair bit of overlap .
> I think I might have ask this one before , but...
>
>  why a single texture assigned to several material names ?
>
>  Just a shortage of textures , or is there a limit to the amount of
> textures that can be used ?

A part of it is to limit the amount of texture used for scenery (although
we've never had a formal texture budget for different parts of the
program.)  And part of it could be that no one as developed a "nice" looking
texture for that material type.

I also see that one material can have several texures assigned .
> Are they selected randomly at startup ?

This I believe was added so that you could do some randomization and reduce
the problem with repeating artifacts in the land cover ... the downside is
that this randomization doesn't blend well at the borders like you can do
with a single tiling texture ... but there are always trade offs to
everything I guess.

Regards,

Curt.
--