Curtis Olson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 2:36 AM, syd adams wrote:
>

>         It  works, but the behaviour is unexpected, or I got it wrong
>         about VOR
>         navigation.
>

>     Sounds like it could be a faulty config file ,,, but the proper
>     way to do a VOR navigation is :
>     Set your (VOR/LOC) frequency .... set your desired course / radial.
>     Set your heading bug to intercept the course ... most autopilots
>     ive been studying go into heading hold automatically if your
>     outside the capture range ... then NAV engages when your in range
>     of the course (not the station).
>

> I would say be a little careful about what config file you use as an
> example.  There is some slightly goofy stuff that has crept into some
> autopilots over the years.  There are some stages that could easily be
> "P" only, but are written as PID which leads to more hunting and
> oscillations or long term errors than otherwise would be necessary
I fixed the ocillations on a couple of aircraft, however all the
aircraft have this NAV1/VOR slow correcting error which is completely
unrealistic imho, such as following a SID or STAR as the aircraft doesnt
really get on course  until near the VOR station. (red in the image below).

http://imgur.com/LL6b9

What this implies is that say I am 100nm away from a VOR, and just
within the 30 degree correction, then it would take 100nm to correct
that final 30 degree. Is there a way to sort this with  a PID.

And as Syd pointed out with the "car" and "road" analogy, then the car would be
in the ditch most of the time !

pete