Not sure why you don't trust the FSF. It has changed a lot since the
beginnings and Mr. Stallman's views very clearly do not drive it.

I had a run-in with Mr. Stall in 1986. I had called because I couldn't
believe that I was required to dump anything I wrote in gnu C under his
license. We argued for a while after which he threatened to sue for
copyright breach if I didn't comply. The law allowed him to collect
double damages, which would have been the price of C/C++ at the time or
zero bucks.

The license is very different now and basically allows you to keep
anything you write with it. It was that change in the GPL to which I
believe he can attribute the success of FSF.

You're right, he's not a very nice person, but the FSF is bound as much
by the GPL as we are.

--
“I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think
the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but

– Ben Franklin