First of all, I don't think that Jpoe the Plumber should or will compile
FlightGear him/herself. Anybody who wants to do so should learn how to
do that.

John Denker wrote:
> Another workaround -- the one I actually prefer -- is to
> let OSG live under .../lib64/ but add
>
>        LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L$parent/usr/lib64"              \
>        LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L$parent/usr/lib"              \
>        ./configure

As I see it this might actually be a problem for the Linux vendor. They
should have added /usr/lib64 to /etc/ld.so.conf

Another thing that has bugged me about osg though is that is places it's
plugins in /usr/(local/)lib/osgPlugins-<version-number>
This is very hard to catch in a configure script and is only solved by
adding that directory to ld.so.conf

Erik