Curtis Olson wrote:
> I have no idea why the scenery would show up different in this view
> for John ... maybe more issues of our code not being 100% compatible
> with ATI hardware (or visa versa?)

It is not just the model view. All views _afterward_ are also missing
the nearby scenery, and I can see distant mountains continue to load.

After the scenery disappears, the reported ground elevation,
/position/altitude-agl-ft = 9930
/position/ground-elev-ft = 0
is at sea level. So the scenery Fully vanished and is not just a drawing
error on the graphics card.

The problem starts with the Metar string. Is it valid? or does the
complete lack of clouds and fog cause the error?

It looks like the second question points to the problem.
With the metar statement,
/environment/visibility-m  = 159324

However without any metar statement, start up at airport=KLXV
 then press [z] until the clouds and fog completely disappear,
/environment/visibility-m > 128000
then switch through the views until model view comes up, the local
scenery disappears,
and try switching to the other views... still No nearby scenery.
Reducing visibility does not bring back the scenery.

However, if you switch to model view before changing the visibility-m
then it loads correctly, and continues to after changing the visibility
upward.

Stewart