On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 07:57:40 -0600, Curtis wrote in message
<ef5fc9921002060557t32655958qe02b15539ade1...@mail.gmail.com>:

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Erik Hofman wrote:
>
> > [ the "model view".]
> >
> > I never understood this view anyhow, what is it supposed to do?
>

> As I recall, the point of this view was to show an external view of
> the aircraft from a fixed heading.  For some situations and some
> people, all the extra visual motion generated by keeping the view
> point fixed with the orientation of the aircraft could cause nausea,
> or not show the desired visualization results as well.  So I believe
> it was Michael Selig of UIUC that created this view very early on in
> the history of FlightGear.  It is intentionally less dramatic than
> the other views.  That said, I have no idea why the scenery would
> show up different in this view for John ... maybe more issues of our
> code not being 100% compatible with ATI hardware (or visa versa?)

..another wee hint, is _always_ ask _which_ "ATI" driver is
used, X.org's radeon, X.org-&-Novell's radeonhd or ATI's own
proprietary fglrx, not to mention XFree86 age relics like
r128 and atimisc (which is AKA mach64).

..the '_which_ "ATI" driver' is also easily lost in a thread
here, which makes archived fix searches, harder.

..x.org's wrapper driver ati loads radeon, r128 or atimisc,
depending on which hardware you feed it.

..and then there's Catalyst etc for the proprietary OS'es.
http://www.x.org/wiki/ATIProprietaryDriver
http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature