On 02/19/2010 01:48 AM, Erik Hofman wrote:
> I've created a new set of splash screens based on the images Durk
> created about two weeks ago.
> Does anyone have any objections to committing them or does anybody have
> other possible splash screens to choose from?
>
> http://home.telfort.nl/sp004798/emh/Splash1.png
> http://home.telfort.nl/sp004798/emh/Splash2.png
> http://home.telfort.nl/sp004798/emh/Splash3.png
> http://home.telfort.nl/sp004798/emh/Splash4.png
> http://home.telfort.nl/sp004798/emh/Splash5.png

1) This is important.  It is always nice to make a good first
 impression.  The splash screen is the first thing a new user
 sees.

2) The composition of the pictures is nice and artistic.

3) The resolution is not sufficient to survive zooming to
 fit a large HD screen.  Jaggies appear in the image.  The
 jaggies are particularly noticeable along sharp edges,
 such as the leading edge of aircraft, and on the lettering.

 Obvious options include
 -- Shipping hi-res and low-res versions of each image.
 -- Shipping some images hi-res and other images low-res.
 -- Shipping only hi-res images and scaling them down
  "on the fly" when running on a screen with fewer pixels.
 -- Over a *small* range of sizes, don't zoom at all, but
  rather show a less-than-fullscreen image in the middle
  of the screen, surrounded by tasteful wallpaper.