When I originally added ground-use support to TerraGear many years
ago, the Canada/US Great Lakes worked fine: we simply treated the
water as a special ground use, used the DEM to get the elevation,
clipped it against the VMAP0 coastlines, and for good measure, Curt
had written code to average out the elevation of water areas to remove
bumps, etc.  The surface of Lake Superior or Lake Ontario might be a
few feet high or low, but it was pretty hard to notice.

Then, just before I left the project, something got badly broken in
TerraGear and/or its input datasets: it changed so that any water
connected to the ocean was forced down to sea level, although the
real-life surfaces are as high as 600 ft MSL.  Now, Chicago sits
perched atop cliffs hundreds of feet high overlooking Lake Michigan,
and rivers run through (non-existant) fjords.  I think someone
originally had a grandiose plan to build a water network, and wanted
eventually to model locks, rapids, waterfalls, etc. to account for
changes in water surface elevation, but that never happened, and to be
honest, we should never have let the code into production until it
worked.

Now, quite a few years later, the Great Lakes are still broken in our
default scenery, and as a result, FlightGear looks ridiculous to any
new user who comes and tries flying in near cities such as Toronto,
Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, or Milwaukee.  Is
there any reason that we can't restore the old code, and treat inland
water like a (specially flattened) land use, at least until someone
fixes the newer water-network code?  Is there anything else we can do
to address this problem?  Were we forced into this because of
different GIS datasets?

Thanks, and all the best,

David