David Megginson wrote:

> [...] I think someone
> originally had a grandiose plan to build a water network, and wanted
> eventually to model locks, rapids, waterfalls, etc. to account for
> changes in water surface elevation, but that never happened, and to be
> honest, we should never have let the code into production until it
> worked.

Haha, I guess that's been me. My plan was to use river locks and
waterfalls to logically disconnect the Great Lakes area from the
Atlantic Ocean, not via yet another hack in the code but instead at
data level. It's still on my TODO list (anyone !?), but the actual
issue is a totally different one - see below.

> [...] Is there anything else we can do
> to address this problem?  Were we forced into this because of
> different GIS datasets?

Exactly. I'm pretty certain that we never had the Great Lakes region at
a reasonable elevation from an unmodified VMap0 dataset using the
political boundaries as landmass - at least according to the old
'src/Prep/TGVPF/process.sh' script. The reason is simple: VMap0 defines
the Great Lakes as not being covered by any political boundary -
therefore it's being treated as ocean.

In the meantime we've made a polygon set to seamlessly fill The Great
Lakes Void - which is likely going to address the issue you've
mentioned. But there are still a few other places which are presumably
affected by the same cause (Caspian Sea, I guess, and probably the Dead
sea as well ....  mmmh, maybe we've already fixed these as well).

Cheers,
        Martin.