Csaba Halász wrote:
> Generally I prefer proper LOD and getting rid of specialized AI
> versions. I want to see AI/MP aircraft in full detail when I am near
> one - or even inside. Ideally I want to see all the instruments
> properly working when I hitch a ride using model+cockpit view. In the
> long run, I hope we will be able to couple animations to MP protocol,
> so that the required properties (and only those!) would be transmitted
> automatically as dynamically determined by the current LOD.

I prefer proper LOD as well, but it requires effort from modellers, and
there is still the overhead of loading the entire model, and keeping the
model in memory.

This approach simply allows a user to choose whether they want that
overhead or not.

To be perfectly honest, this is just a speculative piece of work. On my
new system, I don't have any problem handling KSFO on a busy day,
but I think it should help those on lower powered machines significantly.

-Stuart