On Sunday 25 July 2010 10:19:46 am Stefan Seifert wrote:
> On Sunday 25 July 2010 18:38:45 fiers...@zonnet.nl wrote:
> > I second that. As the matter of fact I stick to nVidea for all machines
> > over the years, because I feel that nVidea should be rewarded for their
> > support of Linux and ATI should be punished for not taking Linux
> > seriously.
>
> On the other hand, I'm running a system with 100% free software thanks to
> AMD's releasing of documentation for driver writers for ATI cards. And my
>  ATI card with its free drivers allowed me for the first time in many years
>  not only to run FlightGear but also good video performance, desktop
>  effects in KDE and usable performance with anti aliased fonts which is
>  something NVidia never managed to do for me (some known problems with
>  their drivers which never got fixed).
>
> Times change.
>
> Stefan

To follow up the situation with AMD/ATI X11 support has changed dramatically
since ATI was purchased by AMD.  I think punishing AMD for the past sins of
ATI is unfair and counter productive.  AMD appears to be bending over
backwards to rectify these issues and has made tremendous progress including
the support of open source driver developers, where AMD is far better than
Nvidia, and on the quality of their closed source driver.  Before AMD ATI was
really doing a bad job with X11 support and this left AMD with a lot of work
to do to fix these issues.  More remains to be done but this is something that
requires a long term effort to fix and I think AMD is doing about as well as
can
be expected.

Hal