On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 23:16 -0600, Ron Jensen wrote:
> On Monday 23 August 2010 21:37:06 Ampere K. wrote:
>
> > Thank you very much Jon and Ron.  That certainly cleared things up for me.
>
> You're welcome
>
> > I only have one question left, which is my original question regarding
> > turbofan in JSBsim.  How does JSBsim simulates a turbofan engine?
>
> I am far from an expert on turbine engines, or the JSBSim turbine model, but
> here it goes: (I'll use the f16 engine file, F100-PW-229.xml, as an example)

There is a thermo/physics math model of a turbofan engine if you want to
go in that direction.  The down side is that is does not fit nicely into
the current JSBsim or Yasim engine models. But it does model the twin
spool configuration of a turbofan engine using compressor and turbine
maps. It is based in part on the engine model developed for LeRC by the
University of Toledo and Dr. Reed.  A copy was sent to Jon a few years
back but never made it into the CVS files.  As I noted above it does no
follow the standard method for engine modeling.  However you can "drop
it in" to replace the existing turbofan model (FGTurbine) with some
minor changes to the basic engine class FGEngine.  We used it in the
737NG simulator we delivered to NASA in 2008. It also has an accurate
tanking model for 737 type aircraft and really *shines* on the 747.

If that is an approach you're interested in pursuing Jon might still
have a copy or I'll be happy to provide a copy of the source and the
deltas to the basic JSBSim source.  Only caveat --- no guarantees or
warranties :-)

John