On Tuesday 19 October 2010 16:41:35 Mally wrote:
> ?Forgive my ignorance, but what happens at the moment? Does nobody say
> anything to the abusers? Doesn't peer pressure, good example and setting
> guidelines present a more realistic solution (realistic by comparison with
> what happens in real world aviation I mean) rather than coming up with an
> automated system of blocking and control?

Very sensible words. Technical solutions usually don't work for social
problems.

A simple word filter would not prevent me from offending people or even
expressing death threats. It would probably not even prevent me from swearing
excessively in German. It might on the other hand prevent me from simply
talking to people. As an example: "jap" may be an offending reference to a
Japanese (as on Curt's word list), but also simply be the German form of
"yep". A word I use daily.

Social problems are best solved by social solutions. In a friendly, welcoming
and helping society foul language and threats usually don't come that far.

For death threats, there are even more severe means available. Those are
illegal in pretty much any country I know of and would result in immediate
prison to protect the victim. The state simply cannot be sure if the offender
might really do it.

Stefan