On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Heiko Schulz wrote:

>> Thorsten B has done a huge amount of work on the GPWS in
>> the past few months, my impression is that with the latest
>> Git code, it's working better than at any point in its
>> history - with the caveat, assuming you have configured it
>> correctly!
>>
>> James
>
> We just followed ThorstenB's wiki tutorial for implementing the GPWS...
> And that's our question: it seems something changed, but not in the wiki.
> And we are just asking for help to get it working again....

Yes, I kind of adopted the GPWS. And there haven't been any recent
changes, so the wiki description should still be correct (unless there
was a mistake from the beginning...).
Have you tested the GPWS with the latest 777-200 (in GIT since
Sunday)? It's definitely working there. If it wasn't working for you,
then we need to look at some FG problem (like the recent sound or
directory access issues). If the 777 GPWS is working for you, then
it's related to aircraft configuration. I'll be testing and looking at
the 733.

And those interested in a full-blown GPWS integration could check the
777-200 now. It has a new gpws Nasal wrapper to provide functionality
like flap-, gear- and G/S-override buttons. It also shows how to allow
lower flap settings for landing (by default, the GPWS requires full
flap extension), connection of the master warning light, and how to
connect the PFD, i.e. to display the "PULL UP" TCW (time critical
warning).

Admittedly, the GPWS in FlightGear is a bit complicated. The main
reason is that the original author chose to simulate an actual
hardware device (a specific type made by Honeywell). All inputs and
outputs match the real counterpart - even the binary encoding of
digital I/O. And yes, the configuration parameters (category-1...) are
also identical to the real device. It just doesn't get any more
realistic than this. But while this may make integration/configuration
a bit more complicated than usual, I still think his work is really
great.
And remember about FlightGear: it's not a game - it's a real sim! :)

cheers,
Thorsten