>  Now it starts, but strangely my
> system hard locks (frozen mouse, frozen screen) a few minutes after
> starting, which means that this is almost certainly a bug in the Intel
> display drivers.
Don't know if this helps you, but I had a lockup error when I ran four NVidia
GTX460 in one system. After some time (a few seconds to many minutes), the X-
system froze but the operating system was still accessible over the network. I
found this in the event log (dmesg):
irq 16: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
irq 16 was used by the USB controller and the graphic-cards. Disabling USB in
the BIOS solved the issue. But because I need USB for the controls, I added
acpi=debug
to the kernel command line arguments. Funny enough, but this completely solved
the issue, USB and NVidia stopped fighting for the irq..
Maybe it's completely unrelated - but it's worth a try.

Torsten