On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Olaf Flebbe wrote:

> MSVC implements proper initialization of static variables.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0x80hh2d%28v=VS.90%29.aspx
>
> "If you do not explicitly initialize a global static variable, it is
> initialized to 0 by default, and every member that has pointer type is
> assigned a null pointer. "

Ok, thanks. So, yes, MSVC officially doesn't support C99, it isn't
even fully C90 compliant, but still, MS was obviously reasonable
enough to at least comply with some of the very basic rules (Hmmm, why
does this actually surprise me about MS? >:) ).
But now that we all know about the initialization rules we should
quickly forget these again - as we all agreed - and keep using
explicit initializers anyway. Better style. Easier readable. Always
works. ;)

cheers,
Thorsten