From: Curtis Olson <curtol...@gmail.com>
To: FlightGear developers discussions <flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Fri, 11 February, 2011 7:24:32 AM
Subject: [Flightgear-devel] Blender question?

I have a hopefully quick question.  I've generated a 3d model mesh in ac3d
format.  I'm doing this from a perl script and I posted some pictures and
details of the actual model here:
 http://www.flightgear.org/blogs/curt/uas/misc/3d-modelling-with-perl/

My script just generates the left half of the model.  I assumed I could just
import this into blender, duplicate the half and mirror it and produce the
whole
model.  I'm new to blender, but I managed to duplicate the side and mirror it
and the mesh looks perfect.

My problem is that when I export the full model, the mirrored half is black
from
the outside.  When I look inside of it, it's shaded properly.  It appears that
when I mirrored the surface, the face ordering didn't change so the mirrored
half is inside out.  I've been trying every possible face/normal/edge option I
can find in blender and haven't been able to figure out how to get my faces
back
the right way.  The original half of course looks just fine.

It's probably something super simple, but I've googled and haven't found the
right set of keywords I guess.  Is there an easy way to get all my faces the
right way so both sides of my model are right side out and look correct?

Thanks,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: