Hi,

> Last year there was a high court decision in Germany
> regarding the trademarked logos of Opel (spark) and Mercedes
> (the well known star).
> The court stated that a replica of an item can include
> trademarked logos if they integrally belong to the original
> item. This means that a Opel car replica is expected to have
> that spark logo as well as a Mercedes should have the star.
> A trademark holder can not enforce to exclude it nor can he
> claim licensing fees in the worst case.
> So for the Eurocopter logo the same applies if it is placed
> on an Eurocopter helicopter replica. It would be different
> to place it on a Bell aircraft. Therefore IĀ  believe we
> are on the safe side here.

I read about this, but I'm not sure if this applies to my model as well.

> As to airline liveries things are more in a grey area but
> pretty similar. You expect the LH livery to be on an Airbus
> A380, CRJ200, etc. So as long as it is realistic and placed
> on the right plane type I would not expect issues here as
> this is common appearance and noone would expect that the
> A320 in FSX or FlightGear is directly affiliated with
> Lufthansa. Putting a LH livery on a plane is replicating LHs
> core business.

I hope this is right. There have been many decisions and it depends on each
court.
The fact is that every logo is part of the trademark and so it is protected and
the owner may forbid this thing. Red Bull stated exactly this in a link I gave
here in the discussion and in the forum.

A lot of companies don't mind using the logo in a correct way (the right model
etc...). But using their name like for a Virtual Airlines they mind.
Lufthansa seems not to mind the many thousand liveries made for the different
sims. But they mind a Virtual Airline using their name.

DRF (Deutsche RettungsFlugwacht) as the opposite even offers their logo and a
detailed paint scheme on their homepage for using it on models.

It depends on each company how they will act.

> Red Bull in turn is in a different core business and
> intensively merchandises its trademark for other businesses.
> So putting the logo on a can is prohibited as well as
> putting it on every other item as well as aircrafts, be it
> real or virtual unless stated otherwise.
>
> However I am not sure what the issue would be if we
> realistically modeled a RB beverage can- maybe RB would pay
> for advertisingĀ  :)
>
> Oliver

There are so many grey zones...  The whole thing is complety mad!