On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Heiko Schulz <aeitsch...@yahoo.de> wrote:

> To be honest:
> Yes, according to international laws a lot of the content is indeed an
> infringement.
>
> It depends on each company how they react. Most companies won't say
> anything, but in the past there have been some.
>
> Red Bull is known here that they don't like to see their logo on things
> they aren't affiliated with. This means as I translated: Without their
> permission you are not allowed to use it- even it is just for your own
> pleasure.
>
> But the whole flightsim with MSFS, X-Plane, Fly! and FlightGear has grown
> so much, that the most companies won't say anything anymore. As I described
> already here on the list, some companies even likes this and see it as free
> advertisement; some just don't want to see no Virtual Airline using their
> name, but are o.k. with using the logo for a repaint....
>
> If Red Bull wasn't known here for his strict view Oliver never had say
> anything.
>
> It is our own risk how we act.

So why aren't we *removing* all our existing uses of the redbull logo ... or
at least the ones that I can find in 2 seconds?  None of the people who are
saying Jack can't submit his helicopter with a redbull livery are saying
anything about the 2 aircraft and several scenery database models that
clearly also use the redbull logo and have existed in our sim for years.

This smells strongly of a case where we like our policy better when it's
applied to others and not ourselves.  I'm not saying there isn't some
logical explanation that I'm totally missing, I'm just saying what it smells
like to me.

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: