Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> So if I keep custom and default separate, depending on which I start
> the sim with, one or the other will be absent (correct me if wrong).

When requesting a new scenery tile, FlightGear walks the scenery path
and will load the respective terrain tile from the first directory
where the tile is available.  That's what the scenery path is for -
analogously to a search path for executable programs on your OS
install, for example.

Afterwards FlightGear will load the corresponding scenery objects from
the Objects dir in the same subdir (scenery path item) where the
terrain tile was found.

Cheers,
        Martin.