> So, I quickly wrote an alternative to the current Nasal  system
> geodinfo(),
> using the groundcache instead of the  current scenery method.
(...)
> Comments?

You just made me a rather happy person :-) That seems like a sizeable
improvement in performance!

One question - do the two methods have the same range? I might call the
function for a spot 50 km away - dependent on visibility range, the
terrain there may already be loaded or not, and my code deals with both
possibilities - but if, say, the fast method would only work in a 10 km
radius around the aircraft, that might be a problem.