Hi Stuart,
On 30 Jul 2011, at 21:31, Stuart Buchanan wrote:

> So, I quickly wrote an alternative to the current Nasal  system geodinfo(),
> using the groundcache instead of the  current scenery method.

This sounds very interesting: As far as I can tell, the AI system still makes
use of scenery.get_elevation_m(), as shown in AIBase.cxx (line 516):

516 bool FGAIBase::getGroundElevationM(const SGGeod& pos, double& elev,
517                                    const SGMaterial** material) const {
518     return globals->get_scenery()->get_elevation_m(pos, elev, material,
519                                                    model.get());
520 }

I always thought that get_elevation_m would be using the ground cache itself,
but apparently that is not the case? If so, it seems to me that changing the AI
system to actually use the ground cache could yield another performance
increase.

If you have any pointers on how this could be changed in an efficient way, I'd
be happy to hear about it. :-)

Cheers,
Durk