> > - Scenery-terrain seems to cast shadows. Visible especially shortly
> > before dawn or shortly after dusk. Great feature if so, but seems
> > also need a lot of perfomance. Maybe it can be made switchable?
> >
> > - Comparing different aircraft-models showed me, that not the
> > general number of vertices or even faces is the limiting factor,
> > but the number of objects. Especially instruments which makes use
> > of many objects, so using non-shadow animation would be very
> > recommended for instruments.
> >
> > -I do like when scenery objects cast shadows. But Do we need that
> > in a far distance?
> > Maybe we can have a distance limitation additional to Stuarts
> > proposal?
>

> The cost of shadows is the difference in fps between night and day,
> as shadow rendering is disabled at night. The scene is rendered in
> the shadow map with front face culling on, so the terrain is only
> draw in the shadow map when the sun is near the horizon.

I should add that the shadow map is rendered 4 times to preserve
details in the near range while seeing shadows in a reasonable
distance. Ranges are :
 - 0.2 - 5m, intended for the cockpit
 - 5 - 50m, for the outside view,
 - 50 - 500m
 - 500 - 5000m for buildings surrounding the viewer

We could imagine to reduce the number of cascade. Increasing the
individual ranges would result in more blocky shadows, but a
small control on distances may be considered.

Regards,
-Fred