> flightg...@sablonier.ch wrote:
>
>> Maybe it???s time to establish a new contact to Robin Peel. I sent him
>> data too but never got any answer, I sent my data to Martin Spott and
>> the airports have never been updated, nore in apt.dat shipped with
>> flightgear nore in scenery files derived via terrasync.
>
> Just as a clarification to everyone: The XML files on TerraSync are
> meant to represent the actual Scenery provided at this very place
> (TerraSync).  Thus, introducing new airfield layouts/references without
> changing the corresponding terrain would lead to inconsistencies -
> which is why I refrained from doing so.  Read also:
>

> http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg17407.html

Hi Martin

I know about this inconsistencies, and this of course the core of the
problem. When flightgear reads from one updated scenery source and from
one corresponding data source we wont run into the same problems anymore,
do we?

The old concept caused a (unwanted) freezing of scenery and apt.dat work
over the last three years. You asked people to send you new scenery
data/resources and airport data, but nothing happens with this data now,
because you decided not to provide scenery anymore. One of the
consequences of this decision could be for us to think about the whole
scenery data process, and not to establish quickly the next hotfix. But
this is only my personal view of things of course and is not well
discussed.

> The same applies to shipping modified "apt.dat" files with the Base
> Package as long as "use-custom-scenery-data" flag wasn't established as
> default.

Why is apt.dat/nav.dat (which covers the whole world and has some tons of
MB) shipped with the base package, and not an "updatable" excerpt? And
another question, wouldn’t it be possible to establish an apt.dat online
update in general? Why is it possible to update apt. and nav.dat in xplane
every months without (?) inconsistencies and not for FlightGear? Is there
something that could be changed in the concept of scenery and data
distribution for FlightGear? Maybe leaving the "world scenery approach"
and dividing scenery and data distribution into data regions?

> Therefore I've been collecting the various contributions just for the
> purpose of saving valuable work from bit-rot.

Yes, this is a honorable work you did over the last years. I will start to
compare newer xplane data with all changes made by flightgear contributors
on old data. This will take some time, maybe this will take 2-3 months.
Every help is much appreciated, also some hints where to start (Europe
because of upcoming scenery updates?).

Cheers, Yves