flightg...@sablonier.ch wrote:

> Hi Crhis, Torsten
>
> What is really needed at the moment is someone starting to verify if some
> changes to "our" apt.dat from the past have to come to recent apt.dat
> shipped with FlightGear. Martin Spott prepared an updated apt.dat on the
> mapserver, but the changes in there have to be verified if it’s worth to
> "commit" this to Robin Peels database first. Some airports have probably
> better or more improvements in flightgear apt.dat version (i.e. taxiways).
> There are ~250 airports to check (see the link posted in my former post).

I'm already doing the checks (and modifications) for the german airports on
the list. Those will be sent to Robin.

>> In this case it would make sense to unpack apt.dat, too, as many changes
>> need to be done to the two files (ILS changes i.e.)
>
> Chris, you mean nav.dat here, do you?

I mean both files here. EDDF recently got a new runway and as such the namig
scheme has changed completely. So I would like to change the runway names in
apt.dat and the ILS data in nav.dat :)

> Isn’t it possible to commit flightgear apt.dat/nav.dat changes directly to
> Robin Peel/xplane database, without serving an own apt.dat and spreading
> derivatives? This caused a lot of problems the last years I guess. I.e.
> there was never a proper solution what happens to changes made by
> flightgear contributors. It would be so much easier to have ONE
> apt.dat/nav.dat source, maybe someone can contact Robin Peel to get a
> shared flightgear/xplane repository?

It IS generally (almost always) the best, to send changes directly to Robin.
Our problem here is that we can't just update our apt.dat file with a newer
version from Robin, as long as our scenery does not get rebuilt. What
Torsten probably envisions with his proposal is the possibility of easier
hotfixes for our files.

Again, we can't just update our apt.dat file with the latest version from
xplane, as our scenery was created with a certain apt.dat file and thus
"depends" on the corresponding file. Otherwise we'd have inconsistencies
between i.e. FG's apt database and the runways showing up in our scenery.
Xplane in contrast creates all airports on the fly, when loading the
scenery, so they can switch apt.dat files without bigger problems.

HTH
Chris