On Monday, January 28, 2013 09:27:53 Renk Thorsten wrote:
> Ah, now I understand what Mathias is after:
> > That would be ok if this would be optional in the sense that it does not
> > impact what is there performance wise. But since this is all runtime
> > configured
> > by an uebershader with a lot of uniforms this is not the case. Any
> > additional
> > feature done in this way *does* impact everbody in several ways. Any
> > additional uniform takes time to be set up in the driver. Any code that
> > is in
> > the shader and that cannot be optimized away at *link* time of the
> > shader may
> > take registers which affects the partitioning and the amount of paralell
> > executed threads in the GPU. At least a notable amount of gpu's on the
> > market can get register set limited at that point.
>
> This paragraph has nothing to do with what is actually happening.
>
> 1) The 'ubershader' for _models_  (model-combined-deferred.eff and
> ubershader.vert/frag) has not been introduced by myself but by "Frederic
> Bouvier and Gijs de Rooy with major additions and revisions by Emilian
> Huminiuc and Vivian Meazza 2011" (says so in the shader code). That shader
> requires to insert <generate> tags into each model which uses normal maps.
> The shader is optional, i.e. it is not compiled if model shader quality is
> set to zero. It is configured by a lot of uniforms (really a lot more than
> I ever used for terrain).
>
> My own contribution with regard to this shader is just to change the light
> and fog functions, I did not otherwise alter its design. However, since
> there's lightmap, reflection map, normal map and dirt map, there are
> potentially 15 different combinations of dedicated shaders which are not
> configured by uniforms, it seems to me there may be a maintenance issue to
> consider and it makes sense to do it that way.
>
> I did not come up with the need to modify each model, that is a property of
> the original shader. Mathias, you picked the wrong audience.

Just to set things straight, models don't need to be modified. The "local"
effect inheriting from model-combined*.eff needs to have those, and this is a
workaround to Flightgear not handling graciously untextured models fed to the
binormal/tangent generator (by this I mean FlightGear simply segfaults). and
this requirement has been in the associated documentation for a year and two
full releases....

Regards,
Emilian