> No, I think what he meant is that (without me ever even seeing shader
> code)
> something like:
> if (enable_light_scattering) {
>     a = b + c;
> }
> compromises performance, even if light_scattering is disabled because the
> compiler would assign registers to this code (the a = b + c), even
> though it
> will never be executed. These registers could be used to more efficiently
> execute the code that actually runs.

Well, yes, that I know - this is why the performance/quality steps in the
framework utilize mostly different shaders rather than one shader with
if-statements.

But we were talking about *optional* usage of the framework making things worse
for everyone else, and none of the shaders concerned are even compiled unless
they're switched on.

* Thorsten